Tuesday 10 May 2011

Intro to blog

HGUC Sinanju - currently the best in HG 1/144 series
Welcome to my blog :).


I've heard the word 'Gundam' during my teenage years, but only during 2005/2006 that I gained my interest about it. It started when I bought two non-grade 1/144 SEED model kits for my nephew's birthday (Strike Freedom & Blaze Zaku Phantom) plus one for myself , a non-grade 1/144 Saviour Gundam). Back home, I'm amazed at how accurate the pieces when assembled together and how accurate the stickers when applied. The accurateness really impress me. Then continuing with the old Gundam Wing 1/144 series and Endless Waltz HG line. Finally, the time has come to step up starting with HG 1/144 Aile Strike Gundam.
HG00 Qan[T]
While doing all these model kits, I surfed the internet to check out background, details and storyline of the Gundams. Which got me into the anime itself. I favour SEED, 00 and Unicorn series. SEED is my top favourite as I am familiar with the background and technology: I found it to be a nice combination of real world & fiction sciences, e.g. Phase Shift Armor, requirement of flight unit/pack for sustained flight. I remember back then during my university days: my best friend watch Gundam SEED on my PC (I remember most the scene where Launcher Strike run out of power during the desert battle). At that time, I don't have any interest in it, preferring much Star Wars over anything else. The alternatives: Gundam 00 for its futuristic, fresh and fast-paced elements, while Gundam Unicorn is detailed, elegant and established. 
HG SEED Destiny
Note that all but one of my Gundam collection is in 1/144 scale. The odd one is MG F91 (which I don't really like, I feel that the quality is not so good, fragile and doesn't feel solid). To date, I prefer 1/144 scale over everything else - and feel very very lucky with the latest release of Real Grade Aile Strike Gundam. Generally, I like miniatures, and do collect some Star Wars Titanium Series, Hot Wheels, Micro Machines etc. 
HGUC Unicorn
HGUC Loto
Currently I have collected almost all HG in the SEED/Destiny/Stargazer series. My favorites: Strike Noir, Verde Buster, Blu Duel, Legend and Shiranui Akatsuki. HG00 favourites: Exia, 00 (without Raiser), Qan[T]. Unicorn favorites: HGUC Unicorn (both mode), Loto, and Sinanju. Note the HGUC lines is really impressive, and the quality, detail & articulation surpass the other HG lines. 
HG SEED CGUE D.E.E.P. Arms
My gunpla technique involve straight build, some paint/touch-up using Gundam Marker and panel-lining. No-serious painting involved. Usually I will paint first parts which are difficult to paint after assembly such as the eyes/sensors and the internal section (to improve depth, as if the armor consist of two-parts). I like to put some decals too: the Gundam looks nicer with them. For transparent parts which has become the trend for HG00, I'm using permanent marker to paint the inside of the clear part. Also, using gold & silver paint marker for hydraulic pipes and other suitable parts.
HG00 Exia Avalanche Dash
You will notice that most of my model kits have nub marks & excessive paint which can be an eyesore to viewers - I usually trim/clean-up those down much much later when I have proper & extra-free time. Very difficult nowadays when having kids around - kids safety is top priority. That is also one of the reason why top coat is not an option (beside cost and proper ventilation space). To date I have only experiment top coat (matte) to HG 1/144 Blitz (the result is excellent) and HG Verde Buster (quite a failure, due to spraying in low-temperature environment (rain)), plus a few parts such as beam rifles etc.


More about Gundam models in my next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment